Homeless Services

Who may be able to assist you?

If you are homeless, rough sleeping or at risk of becoming homeless you need to present to the Housing section in the Council’s office at County Hall, Riverside, Sligo. 

If you have a Notice Of Termination, please refer to Advice for Households with Notices of Termination.

Sligo County Council wish to advise that the Homeless Clinic will be open to the public by appointment from 9.30am until 1pm Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Please make an appointment by calling to the Housing counter or ringing 071 911 11 11.

The Clinic will not be open to the public on Tuesdays, but telephone queries to 071 911 1177 will be answered between 9.30am to 5pm.

Persons in need of assistance outside these hours should attend Sligo Social Services, Maryville Hostel, Finisklin, Sligo where an initial assessment will be carried out. An emergency placement may be allocated subject to eligibility and availability.  Any such persons will be required to attend the Housing Section, Sligo County Council, County Hall, Riverside, Sligo for a full assessment on the next working morning between the hours of 9.30am – 1pm.

Am I entitled to temporary emergency accommodation?

At present, in order to qualify for access to social housing supports in the Sligo area, you must produce evidence of your local connection to the county. A local connection is determined having regard to the following criteria:

  • a member of your household has resided for a continuous 5-year period at any time in the area concerned; or
  • The place of employment of any household member is in the area concerned or is located within 15 kilometres of the area; or
  • A household member is in full-time education in any university, college, school or other education establishment in the area concerned; or
  • Any household member with an enduring physical, sensory, mental health or intellectual impairment is attending an educational or medical establishment in the area concerned that has facilities or services specifically related to such impairment, or
  • A relative of any household member lives in the area concerned and has lived there for a minimum period of 2 years.

Upon presenting at the Housing Office the Homeless Liaison Officer will complete a homeless assessment which will have regard to whether:  

  • You have a local connection to the area and whether you are registered as homeless with any other local authorities.
  • You are homeless or likely to be homeless,
  • The circumstances which contributed to your current situation 

It will then be determined if you have a priority need for temporary accommodation/access to social housing supports. 

What do I need to bring with me?

You need photo identification, such as a public service card, driving licence or passport.  You also need proof of your income/social welfare payment such as a recent receipt from the Post Office.  

I’m under 18, what do I do?

Tusla will help you if you are under 18 years. If you are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless go to your local Tusla Leaving and Aftercare office and look to speak to a social worker. If that office is closed, for example if it is after 5:00pm you should go to the local Garda Station and they will contact the on-duty social worker.