There are lots of options to keep fit if you have to remain at home.
Activity at Home
The guidelines recommend 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity five days a week for adults, but short bouts of physical activity (even 10 minutes at a time) can quickly add up to 30 minutes. For kids it’s 60 minutes a day –and we have lots more information for them below.
The important thing is that no matter what your age or circumstance you need to keep moving, so make sure to include some physical activity in your daily plan.
Sport Ireland has been busy compiling a list of great resources to help you stay active and healthy at home, here are just a few:
- Athletics Ireland have a range of home workout skills and drills videos that you can follow from your own home or garden. You can watch one of their videos here and on the Athletics Ireland channel
- the Camogie Association have plenty of skills challenges to keep you sharp. A full range of exercises and challenges are available on camogie.ie
- Special Olympics Ireland are releasing exercises for their athletes every day for the coming weeks. The inclusive exercises will focus on endurance, strength, flexibility and balance. Everyone in the family is encouraged to take part in the daily challenges. For more information follow @specialolympicsireland on Facebook and Instagram
- the swimming pools may be shut at the moment but Swim Ireland have put together a guide to keeping fit and staying healthy during COVID-19
- the Local Sports partnerships are working to continue their work of increasing sport and physical activity in their local communities, through live workouts, skills challenges and regular social media content
- Sport Ireland's social media channels will be updated with advice on how to stay active daily. We recommend you follow them here: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter