Road opening licence
Procedure to be followed by Contractors for inclusion on the Panel of Approved Contractors to Open the Public Road in Sligo County and Borough.
- Sligo Local Authorities in promoting best practise, has formed a Panel of Approved Contractors who will undertake to open the Public Road or footpath having first applied and received the appropriate Licence.
- Only approved Contractors will be entitled to open the public roads. Submissions are invited from Contractors who feel that they have the required experience and expertise.
- The initial panel will be valid for a period of 3 years but Contractors can apply at any time for inclusion on the panel. Sligo County Council will hold interviews when there are a sufficient number of applications received after the panel comes into force, i.e. 1st May, 2009. This interview will establish the suitability of applicants for inclusion on the panel.
- Contractors may be removed from the panel at the discretion of Sligo County Council/Sligo Borough Council.
- Contractors accepted will be required to excavate to specified requirements and backfill to roads works specification. Temporary re-instatement surface and permanent re-instatement surface will be in accordance with Sligo County Council/Sligo Borough Council requirements. Approved Contractors will be required to carry out the works from commencement to completion.
Those contractors accepted for inclusion on this panel will be required to provide the following criteria:
- All risks, Employers Liability Insurance of €12.7m and Public Liability Insurance of €6.4m
- C2 Construction Tax Certification.
- Signed copy of current Safety Statement.
- Sample Method Statement for similar works.
- Training Records of Staff appointed to carry out works. – (see application form attached).
- Accident/incident statistics (3 years history).
- Sample of Traffic Management Plan for similar works.
Approved Contractors will be required to comply with the following:
- Compliance with Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act, 2005 and associated Regulations.
- Compliance with the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations, 2006.
- Guidelines for the Opening, Backfilling and Reinstatement of Trenches in Public Roads (as amended in September, 2005).
All supporting documentation listed above should be in the name of the Company or Trading Entity.
Application Form, Particulars and any further information are available by contacting the Infrastructural Services Section, Sligo County Council, Governor’s House, St. Anne’s Place, Sligo 071 9111465 or 071 9111456.
Applications should be submitted to Mr. Tom Kilfeather, Director of Services, Infrastructural Services Section, Sligo County Council, County Hall, Riverside, Sligo.
Sligo Local Authorities in promoting best practise, has formed a Panel of Approved Contractors who will undertake to open the Public Road or footpath having first applied and received the appropriate Licence.
Only approved contractors are entitled to open the public roads. All applications must be made via any of the Approved Contractors listed below.
The Approved Contractors are as follows
- Mullane Plant Hire, Cuilbeg, Carraroe, Co. Sligo Telephone Number: 086 8526440.
- Alan McCarrick Plant Hire, Kilmacowen, Ballisodare, Co. Sligo Telephone Number: 071 9171883 and 087 2471035
- Norris Plant Hire Ltd., Corhownagh, Ballisodare, Co. Sligo Telephone Number: 071 9167915
- Kilcawley Construction, Sansheen House, Wolfe Tone Street, Sligo Telephone Number: 071 9162206
- Gerald Love Contracts, Drumboory, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh Telephone Number: 04866320474
- Eircom Limited, Heather Road, Sandyford, Dublin 18 Telephone Number: 01 2954138
- KN Network Services, 3-4 Crag Avenue Business Park, Clondalkin, Dublin 22 Telephone Number: 014575000
- Ivan Hamilton, Cleen, Dromahair, Co. Leitrim Telephone Number: 071 9164509: 087 2360814
- Tom Currid Construction Ltd, Ardnaglass, Ballymote, Co Sligo Telephone Number: 071 9183079: 087 2562039
- Mr. Fergus Keaney, XGate Cable Limited, Corran Abbey, Ballinacarrow, Ballymote Co. Sligo Telephone No. 086 2585805
- John G. Kilcoyne Plant Hire, Curracunane, Curry, Co. Sligo Telephone Number: 094 9254595 087 2766968
- North Mayo Construction & Hire Co. Ltd., Breaffy, Ballina, Co. Mayo Telephone Number: 096 21568 086 8210099
- Donlon Plant Hire Ltd., Old Cartron Hill, Sligo Telephone Number: 071 9145784 087 6137658
- -Net, Hamilton House, National Technological Park, Plassey, Limerick Telephone Number: 061 274000 061 274010
- Joe Reilly Plant Hire, Unit 8, Castlebar Retail & Business Park, Breaffy Road, Castlebar, Co. Mayo Telephone Number: 0949250970 087/3897655
- Hallquar Construction, Ballinteane, Enniscrone, Co. Sligo Telephone Number: 096 36214 087 6956143
- Wills Bros Ltd., Ballylahan Bridge, Foxford, Co. Mayo Telephone Number: 094 9256221 086 6088016
- Integrated Communications Ltd., ICL House, O’Brien Road, Carlow Telephone Number: 043 3346317 Fax: 043 3346636
- P.J. McLoughlin & Sons Ltd., Dublin Road, Longford Telephone Number: 059 9723340 Fax: 059 9169411
- Priority Construction Limited, 162 Clontarf Road, Dublin 3 Telephone Number: 01 8331825, 087 6385654
- BAM Building Ltd., Kill, Co. Kildare Telephone Number: 045 886400 086 3863289
- Curran Contracts Ltd., 30 Blackwatertown Road, Armagh, BT61 8EZ Telephone Number: 048 37524861 078 60254666 or 077 39892343
- Harrington Concrete & Quarries, Kilkelly, Co. Mayo Telephone Number: 094 9367072 or 087 4179756
- Brendan Sammon Builders (Aughnasheelin) Limited, Derrinkehir, Aughnasheelin, Co. Leitrim Telephone Number 071 9644014 087 2071961
- Conwell Contracts ROI Limited, Lismalore, Brookeborough, Co. Fermanagh BT94 4EU Telephone Number. 048 2889531296
- Michael O’Malley Tarmacadam Contractors Ltd., Ballynew, Castlebar, Co. Mayo Telephone Number: 094 9022005 or 087 2376708
- Stephen Reynolds Plant Hire & Water Scheme Contractor, Carrick Road, Drumshambo, Co. Leitrim Telephone Number: 071 9641155 or 086 2523009
- IGSL Ltd., Unit F, M7 Business Park, Naas, Co. Kildare Telephone Number: 045 846176
- McGovern Plant Hire Ltd., Maple Drive, Boyle, Co. Roscommon Telephone Number: 071 9662222 or 071 9664926
- Steven Duncan Plant Hire, Ardakip, Dromahair, Co. Leitrim Telephone Number: 086 3758044
- Reach Active, Carmichael House, 60 Lower Baggot Street, Dublin Telephone Number: 01 6024705 or 086 0488072
- Clarke Plant Hire and Groundworks, Lugdoon, Templeboy, Co. Sligo Telephone Number: 087 2765194
- Sierra Support Services, Unit F, Westland House, Willow Road, Dublin 12. Telephone Number: 01 4618834
- T & S Gormley Construction, Doobeg, Bunninadden, Co Sligo Telephone Number: 087 9670166 or 071 9128518
- Mast Construction Ltd, Old Mountain, Desertegney, Buncrana, Co Donegal Telephone Number: 074 9361727 or 086 6052030
- i.p. One Ltd, Unit 25 Danville Business Park, Kilkenny Telephone Number: 056 7795900 or 087 9865955
- Vincent McMorrow Plant Hire and Construction, Carrowcrin, Dromahair, Co. Leitrim Telephone Number 087 2779672 or 086 1068006
- Croom Concrete, Off-Church Road, Croom, Co Limerick Telephone Number: 086 1958377 or 061 397479
- Noel Regan & Sons (Plant Hire) Ltd., Ishlaun, Ballaghadereen, Co. Roscommon Telephone Number: 094 9860297 or 086 3830789
- Oliver Ryan, O.R Plant Hire Ltd, Upperchurch, Thurles, Co Tipperary Telephone Number: 0504 54430
- Integrated Utility Services Limited, C11 Gateway, Rosemount Business Park, Balycoolin, Dublin Telephone Number: 01 8991017 or 086 8159803
- Priority Geotechnical Limited, Unit 12, Owenacurra Business Park, Midleton, Co Cork Telephone Number: 021 4631600
- Hydro Excavation Ireland Ltd., Damestown Way, Mulhuddart, Dublin 15 Telephone Number: 018614844 or 0872543071
This panel will come into force on 1st May, 2009, is valid for a period of 3 years and will be reviewed periodically as required by Sligo Local Authorities. For further information, please contact Infrastructural Services Section, Sligo County Council, Governor’s House, St. Anne’s Place, Sligo at 0719111456, 0719111465 or 0719111464.
NOTE: Applications for a licence to (a) make a connection to the Council’s watermain or (b) make a connection to the Council’s sewer is a separate application and applicants should contact:
Trench Guidelines (PDF)
- 1,529 kbs
Trench Guidelines Revision (PDF)
- 19 kbs
Particulars for Application to Open the Public Road or Footpath (PDF)
- 22 kbs
- Application form for Panel of Approved Contractors to carry out Road Openings/Restoration Works on Public Roads in County Sligo including the Borough of Sligo (PDF) - 14 kbs
Foirm Iarratais An Painéal Conraitheoirí Faofa atá le tabhairt faoi Oscailt Bóthair/Oibreacha Athchóirithe ar Bhóithre Poiblí i gContae Shligigh (PDF)
- 18 kbs
- Application form for Panel of Approved Contractors to carry out Road Openings/Restoration Works on Public Roads in County Sligo including the Borough of Sligo (DOC) - 35 kbs
- Foirm Iarratais An Painéal Conraitheoirí Faofa atá le tabhairt faoi Oscailt Bóthair/Oibreacha Athchóirithe ar Bhóithre Poiblí i gContae Shligigh (DOC) - 23 kbs