Construction work on the Sligo Western Distributor Road Phase II is completed and the road will be opened to traffic on Monday next January 11th from 4.00pm.
Western Distributor Road Phase II
Arrangements for a formal official opening will be made when public health restrictions allow.
The road will link the N4 National Primary Road at the Caltragh interchange with the Roger Eames road Ballydoogan and to the R292 Strandhill Road.
- 9km of single urban distributor road between the existing N4 junction (Caltragh) and the existing Ballydoogan Road
- Verges with 2m wide cycleway and 2m wide footway on each side of the carriageway
- Realignment of a section of the existing Oakfield Road
- New road bridge crossing the existing Dublin-Sligo railway line
- Two roundabout junctions at Oakfield, one of the junctions providing access to the new IDA Business Park
- The scheme also includes several ancillary works, including drainage and earthworks, boundary treatments, traffic signals, landscaping and signage.
The Western Distributor Road is of major strategic importance to this region. It will provide quality access to the proposed new IDA Business Park at Oakfield and the existing IDA Finisklin Business Park. It will also reduce traffic congestion on the Sligo Inner Relief Road and adjoining routes and provide much improved access to the southwest of the urban area. Significant walking and cycling infrastructure has been integrated into the scheme.