In the region of €57 million will be invested in the construction, improvement and maintenance of Public Roads and associated infrastructure in Sligo in 2021.
Cathaoirleach Welcomes Roads Grant Allocation
The Department of Transport has notified Sligo County Council that its allocation for Regional and Local Road Grants for 2021 is €15,338,516. The 2020 allocation of €17,879,738 included almost €4 million for the Western Distributor Road construction, therefore adjusting for this figure, the 2021 overall allocation is up by approximately €1.5 million over 2020 figures. This is a very welcome increase across the main funding categories.
The Cathaoirleach of Sligo County Council Councillor Dara Mulvey has welcomed the announcement of the allocation.
‘In the current climate, I believe this funding is hugely significant right across our roads programme. The allocation of €7.3M on Restoration Improvement and €1.2M on Restoration Maintenance in particular will enable essential works to be carried out on our road network throughout the county.’
Other key elements of the 2021 allocations:
- The 2021 Restoration Improvement Grant is increased by €422,000 on the 2020 figure, to a total of €7,319,500.
- The 2021 Restoration Maintenance Grant for surface dressing works is similar to the 2020 figure at €1,225,000.
- The 2021 Supplementary Restoration Maintenance allocation is increased by €117,000 on the 2020 figure, to a total of €875,000.
- A slightly reduced €2,297,500 has been allocated to our Discretionary Grant, and €453,500 has been allocated to our Bridge Rehabilitation Grant across 14 No. bridges countywide, a reduction of €35,000 compared to the 2020 allocation.
- The R284 Gleann Road has received a further allocation this year of €120,000 under the Specific Improvement Grant, and the Burton Street Link Road has received a very welcome allocation of €400,000 to further advance this Scheme.
- The Eastern Garvogue Bride has been allocated €250,00 to finalise the Detail Design and Contract Document preparation.
- An allocation of €255,000 has been given for Safety Improvement Works across 8 No. Projects countywide, a reduction of €15,000 on the 2020 figure, and €573,238 has been allocated to Drainage Works, a similar figure to 2020.
- A specific allocation of €350,000 had been received for resurfacing works on the R287 Pearse Road to Cararoe.
Acting Director of Services Emer Concannon said
‘Today’s allocation, taken in conjunction with the TII funding announced in December and the Council’s own Roads Programme contribution, will allow us to proceed with the preparation of a Roadworks Programme for 2021. The Draft Roadworks Programme will be brought to each Municipal District in March and to the full Council in April.
Acting Chief Executive Tom Kilfeather said
‘Combining the December TII funding announcement, today’s DOT funding and the Council’s own contribution to the Roads Programme, we will see a total investment of approximately €57 million in the construction, improvement and maintenance of Public Roads and associated infrastructure in Sligo in 2021.
As always, we will continue to engage with the Department to avail of any further funding opportunities that might arise during 2021 to attract additional funding into the Roads Programme particularly in respect of CIS, LIS, CLAR and Active Travel funding.’