N4-N15 Sligo Urban Improvement Scheme
SLIGO COUNTY COUNCIL
COMHAIRLE CHONTAE SHLIGIGH
FORM OF NOTICE OF A COMPULSORY PURCHASE ORDER UNDER SECTION 76 OF AND THE THIRD SCHEDULE TO THE HOUSING ACT 1966 AS EXTENDED BY SECTION 10 OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT (NO. 2) ACT 1960 (AS SUBSTITUTED BY SECTION 86 OF THE HOUSING ACT 1966) AND AMENDED AND EXTENDED BY SECTION 6 AND THE SECOND SCHEDULE OF THE ROADS ACT 1993, THE HOUSING ACTS 1966 TO 2016, THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACTS 1925 TO 2014 AND THE ROADS ACTS 1993 TO 2015, PUBLISHED IN ACCORDANCE WITH ARTICLE 4 (A) OF THE THIRD SCHEDULE TO THE HOUSING ACT 1966 AS AMENDED BY THE PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT ACTS 2000 – 2016.
COMPULSORY ACQUISITION OF LAND
SLIGO COUNTY COUNCIL COMPULSORY PURCHASE
ORDER 2017 (NO. 1)
N4-N15 Sligo Urban Improvement Scheme
SLIGO COUNTY COUNCIL (hereinafter referred to as “the Local Authority”) in exercise of the powers conferred upon them by section 76 of the Housing Act, 1966, and the Third Schedule thereto, as extended by section 10 of the Local Government (No. 2) Act, 1960 as substituted by section 86 of the Housing Act, 1966 as amended by section 6 and the Second Schedule to the Roads Act, 1993, as amended, and as amended by the Planning and Development Acts 2000-2016, have made an Order entitled as above which is about to be submitted to An Bord Pleanála (hereafter “the Board”) for confirmation. If confirmed, the order will authorise the Local Authority to acquire compulsorily the land described in the Schedule Part 1 and to acquire temporarily the land described in the Schedule Part 2 thereto for the purposes of the construction of the N4-N15 Sligo Urban Improvement Scheme including the following:
- online improvement works through the townlands of Rathquarter and Cartron;
The proposed development occurs wholly within County Sligo and comprises inter-alia:
- Upgrading the existing dual-carriageway for a distance of 580m from a point just north of Hughes Bridge to a point just north of the N15 / R291 Rosses Point Road junction;
- Increased right-turning provision and improved facilities for pedestrians and cyclists at the three signalised junctions within the proposed development;
- The proposed development includes the following elements of infrastructure:
- Carriageway improvements;
- Junction improvements;
- Pedestrian and cyclist facilities improvements;
- Structures including new retaining walls
- Existing river bridge replacement;
- A new drainage system;
- Environmental mitigation works;
- The diversion of services and utilities; and
- The other consequential construction works necessary in order to complete the project.
Owners, lessees and occupiers of the land described in the Schedule Part 1 and Part 2 will receive individual written notice.
The order will also authorise the Local Authority to extinguish the public and private rights of way described in the Schedule Part 3 thereto, by order made by them after they have acquired the land,where the said rights of way are over the land so acquired or any part thereof, or over land adjacent to or associated with the land so acquired or any part thereof. Any objections to the extinguishing of the said rights of way should be made in writing to An Bord Pleanála, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1, before 5.30pm on Friday 11th August 2017.
The Board cannot confirm: –
- a compulsory purchase order in respect of the land if an objection is made in respect of the acquisition by an owner, lessee or occupier of the land, and not withdrawn,
- the extinguishment of a private right of way or an order which authorises the extinguishment of a public right of way if there is an objection to the extinguishment, which is not withdrawn,
until it has caused to be held an oral hearing into the matter and until it has considered the objection and the report of the person who held the oral hearing. However regard should be had to the provisions of Section 218 of the Planning and Development Act, 2000 as amended which provide that where as a result of the transfer of functions under section 214, 215, 215A, 215B or 215C of the Planning and Development Act, 2000, as amended, the Board would otherwise be required to hold a local inquiry, public local inquiry or oral hearing, that requirement shall not apply to the Board but the Board may, at its absolute discretion, hold an oral hearing in relation to the matter, the subject of the function transferred.
A Natura Impact Statement (NIS), for which separate public notices have been given, have been prepared in respect of the development which it is proposed to carry out on the land to which the order relates.
Evidence in relation to:-
- the likely effects on the environment of the proposed road development;
- the likely consequences for proper and sustainable development in the area in which it is proposed to situate the proposed road development;
- the likely significant effects of the proposed road development on European sites;
may also be heard at the oral hearing, if held.
A copy of the order and of the maps referred to in it as well as the Natura Impact Statement (NIS) may be inspected at the offices of:
- Sligo County Council, County Hall, Riverside, Sligo, County Sligo;
- Sligo National Roads Project Office, Sligo County Council, Business Centre, Market Yard, Sligo, County Sligo;
between the hours of 9.30am to 1.00pm and 2.00pm to 4.30 pm on Mondays to Fridays (bank holidays excluded) from Friday 30th June 2017 to Friday 11th August 2017 (inclusive of both dates).
Dated this 29th day of June 2017
Acting Director of Infrastructural Services